he Minister of Water and Environmental Affairs has by notice in the Government Gazette in terms of section 69(1)(a), (b), (g), (h), (m), (q), (s), (dd), and (ee) read with section 73 of the NEMWA made draft regulations pertaining to waste classification and management.
The purpose of the draft Regulations are, inter alia, to
• regulate the classification and management of waste in a manner which supports and implements the provisions of the Act;
• establish a mechanism and procedure for the listing of waste management activities that do not require a Waste Management Licence;
• prescribe requirements for the disposal of waste to landfill;
• prescribe requirements and timeframes for the management of certain wastes; and
• prescribe general duties of waste generators, transporters and managers.
Members of the public are invited to submit to the Minister written comments on the draft Regulations within 30 days of the publication of the notice in the Government Gazette (i.e. 9 September 2012).
Notice No: 614 GG: 35572 Date: 10/08/2012