Western Cape premier Alan Winde on Wednesday confirmed that he had contracted Covid-19 and entered into self-isolation.
"I received a positive test result for Covid-19 this morning, and I am in self-isolation at home for 14 days," he said in a statement.
Winde said he developed mild flu-like symptoms at the weekend and was tested on Monday because he has type-2 diabetes and is older than 55, placing him in a high-risk demographic for developing severe symptoms from the virus.
"I have stayed at home as soon as I started feeling sick and can confirm that I am only experiencing mild symptoms. It feels like I have a cold," he added.
"However, given my risk category I will be carefully monitoring my health to make sure that any change is picked up quickly."
He said he was contacting all those with whom he had been in contact three days before his symptoms manifested to ask them to enter into self-quarantine.
Winde said he would still be participating in meetings to co-ordinate the provincial response to the pandemic, and would on Thursday host his weekly virtual press conference and and take part in a meeting of President Cyril Ramaphosa's coordinating council on the country's Covid-19 response.
Winde's diagnosis comes after the confirmed number of cases in the province rose by 1 536 in the past 24 hours to 72 808. The province still narrowly has the highest number of cases in the country, with Gauteng close behind with 71 488 after a huge surge in recent days.
"My message to the people of the Western Cape at this time is to take Covid-19 seriously. Anyone can get it. So, please keep yourself safe, and your loved ones safe. Follow the five golden rules at all times, including wearing a cloth mask, cleaning surfaces regularly and washing or sanitising your hands often. And, please be kind, and compassionate at all times."