State-owned Transnet Port Terminals (TPT) has lifted the force majeure declared in the automotive, bulk and multi-purpose terminals with immediate effect, but the force majeure will remain in place for container terminals until October 31 owing to backlogs.
Owing to the extent of the backlogs in the container terminals, and the resultant impact to operations, the force majeure declared for the container terminals will remain in place, it said on October 21.
"TPT is implementing recovery plans to stabilise operational performance and efficiencies across its terminals, following the industrial action by employees which ended earlier this week."
TPT’s full workforce reported for duty from October 20, and the backlogs in the container terminals are being cleared as part of the recovery plans that are under way, TPT said.
Transnet declared a force majeure on October 6, after employees embarked on industrial action, impacting on the company’s ability to deliver on contractual obligations.
Transnet signed a three-year wage agreement with majority union United National Transport Union on October 17.
The South African Transport and Allied Workers Union, which is also a recognised union at Transnet, called off its strike action on October 19.
"Transnet would like to thank its customers and industry broadly for their support and understanding during this period," it added.