https://www.polity.org.za
Deepening Democracy through Access to Information
Home / News / All News RSS ← Back
Close

Email this article

separate emails by commas, maximum limit of 4 addresses

Sponsored by

Close

Article Enquiry

South Africa to remove luxury duty on lower value smartphones


Close

South Africa to remove luxury duty on lower value smartphones

Should you have feedback on this article, please complete the fields below.

Please indicate if your feedback is in the form of a letter to the editor that you wish to have published. If so, please be aware that we require that you keep your feedback to below 300 words and we will consider its publication online or in Creamer Media’s print publications, at Creamer Media’s discretion.

We also welcome factual corrections and tip-offs and will protect the identity of our sources, please indicate if this is your wish in your feedback below.


Close

Embed Video

South Africa to remove luxury duty on lower value smartphones

Mobile phone
Photo by Bloomberg

12th March 2025

By: Reuters

SAVE THIS ARTICLE      EMAIL THIS ARTICLE

Font size: -+

South Africa's government has proposed to remove the luxury excise duty on smartphones worth below R2 500 from April 1 to support digital adoption for low-income households, the National Treasury said on Wednesday.

Currently, so called ad valorem excise duties on smartphones are charged at a rate of 9%.

Advertisement

"Government proposes that as of 1 April 2025 this duty rate be applied only to smartphones with a price paid greater than R2 500 at the time of export to South Africa," treasury said in its budget statement.

This proposal will "enhance smartphone affordability at the lower end of the price spectrum and support efforts to promote digital inclusion for low-income households," it added.

Advertisement

The move comes as South Africa plans a total shutdown of 2G and 3G networks by December 31, 2027 to free up radio waves for faster 4G LTE and 5G networks.

Critics of the plan had argued that phasing 2G and 3G networks risked exacerbating the digital divide as many low-income consumers, particularly those in remote areas, may not afford newer smartphones designed for faster networks.

Communications Minister Solly Malatsi told Reuters last year that the ad valorem excise duties contribute to the high cost of smart devices and that he was in talks with treasury to cut these.

EMAIL THIS ARTICLE      SAVE THIS ARTICLE      FEEDBACK

To subscribe email subscriptions@creamermedia.co.za or click here
To advertise email advertising@creamermedia.co.za or click here


About

Polity.org.za is a product of Creamer Media.
www.creamermedia.co.za

Other Creamer Media Products include:
Engineering News
Mining Weekly
Research Channel Africa

Read more

Subscriptions

We offer a variety of subscriptions to our Magazine, Website, PDF Reports and our photo library.

Subscriptions are available via the Creamer Media Store.

View store

Advertise

Advertising on Polity.org.za is an effective way to build and consolidate a company's profile among clients and prospective clients. Email advertising@creamermedia.co.za

View options

Email Registration Success

Thank you, you have successfully subscribed to one or more of Creamer Media’s email newsletters. You should start receiving the email newsletters in due course.

Our email newsletters may land in your junk or spam folder. To prevent this, kindly add newsletters@creamermedia.co.za to your address book or safe sender list. If you experience any issues with the receipt of our email newsletters, please email subscriptions@creamermedia.co.za