For Creamer Media in Johannesburg, I’m Lumkile Nkomfe.
Making headlines: ACSA, SAA will remain open for business and on alert during shutdown; Police vow to deal with any criminality; And, Busisiwe Mkhwebane's perjury case postponed to October
ACSA, SAA will remain open for business and on alert during shutdown
The Airports Company South Africa says it has "contingency plans in place to mitigate any disruptions" during the Economic Freedom Fighters' shutdown protest on Monday.
In preparation for the protest, EFF members went to OR Tambo International Airport in Gauteng and urged staff and businesses not to operate on Monday.
The party has been criticised for intimidating people into joining the protest and forcing businesses to close through alleged threats.
The EFF has denied issuing any threats of violence.
Yesterday, EFF leader Julius Malema said the party would protest in peace but those who attempted to infringe on the party's constitutional right to protest would "meet their maker”.
ACSA said it would use the "legislative instruments" in place "to ensure members of the public are safe at the airports, which have designated areas for peaceful protest.
Police vow to deal with any criminality
Police Minister Bheki Cele ordered the police force to ensure citizens' safety during the planned national shutdown.
He said those who would be marching have a right to do so, however there are restrictions, ways and measures to be followed.
Cele explained that those marching don't have any permission or right to harm, disturb, or block South Africans about to go with their plans for the day.
Cele added that his officers should also protect those going to work.
He highlighted that nobody should block or occupy roads at the expense of other road users. Nobody should loot or force anybody to close their shops or businesses.
Cele said officers should apply minimum force. He added they must not hurt or injure anyone.
And, Busisiwe Mkhwebane's perjury case postponed to October
The perjury case against suspended Public Protector Busisiwe Mkhwebane has been postponed until October 26 for the outcome of her review application.
Mkhwebane made a brief appearance in the Pretoria Magistrate's Court today.
She has asked the Gauteng High Court in Pretoria to review a National Prosecuting Authority decision to prosecute her on two counts of perjury.
The NPA indicated in March last year that it wanted to proceed with the case.
That’s a roundup of news making headlines today
Don’t forget to follow us on Twitter [@PolityZA]
EMAIL THIS ARTICLE SAVE THIS ARTICLE ARTICLE ENQUIRY
To subscribe email firstname.lastname@example.org or click here
To advertise email email@example.com or click here