The DA has affirmed its commitment to due process and the independence of State institutions following reports of a South African Reserve Bank (SARB) investigation into financial services company Kastelo Proprietary Limited, which involves DA MP and party federal finance chairperson Mark Burke.
DA Federal Council chairperson Ashor Sarupen stated that the party will not interfere with or prejudge the ongoing central bank probe, adding the party maintains a “strict stance on accountability” but emphasised that decisions must be guided by “verified legal outcomes rather than premature assumptions”.
The SARB probe is investigating exchange control contraventions relating to the company, Katselo, which was founded by Burke.
The party said it will not treat Burke as guilty without formal findings and that it will “act appropriately” if any “competent authority” proves wrongdoing.
The party highlighted its belief in the independence of regulatory bodies.
"There is no finding of wrongdoing against Burke that would justify the DA treating him as though such a finding had already been made," Sarupen explained, stressing that this stance applies to all party representatives.
Responding to media reporting on Tuesday, Burke expressed his “full respect” for the SARB's investigation into potential exchange control contraventions but urged accurate factual reporting.
Burke clarified that he is not the chairperson of Kastelo Proprietary Limited and he holds no operational involvement in the investigated company.
Burke said he previously chaired the broader Kastelo Group but exited that role in February 2026.
He added that he originally resigned from Kastelo in 2024 to pursue his political career.
Addressing the recent legal setback, Burke noted that the High Court judgment was strictly procedural.
The court ruled only that the Reserve Bank had sufficient grounds to maintain a temporary blocking order while its inquiry continues.
"The High Court judgment does not make any finding of wrongdoing against Kastelo, nor myself," Burke said. "Nor does the judgment constitute a finding that exchange control contraventions have been proven."
Burke maintained that he has consistently acted ethically, taking extensive proactive steps since entering Parliament to avoid any potential conflicts of interest regarding his former business ties.
He revealed that he formally notified the DA leadership and the parliamentary finance committee secretary that he must be entirely recused from any matters involving the SARB.
"The record of recusal is very clear," Burke said. "I did this to maintain strong ethical boundaries and will continue to do so."
Furthermore, the MP confirmed that all required financial disclosures were submitted “timeously and accurately” to the parliamentary Register of Members' Interests.
Burke emphasised that he remains confident the completed SARB inquiry will vindicate him, noting that no personal allegations of misconduct or investigations have been directed against him.
EMAIL THIS ARTICLE SAVE THIS ARTICLE ARTICLE ENQUIRY FEEDBACK
To subscribe email subscriptions@creamermedia.co.za or click here
To advertise email advertising@creamermedia.co.za or click here









