The ANC said on Friday it has pursued criminal charges against DA MP Dr Mark Burke, as well as the fintech company Kastelo, following a South African Reserve Bank (SARB) investigation into Kastelo, with which Burke is linked.
On Wednesday, the DA removed Burke from Parliament’s finance committee and stripped him of his title as the party’s finance spokesperson, as the investigation unfolds.
ANC chief whip Mdumiseni Ntuli said the party’s decision to take Burke to court did not mean that it was “making findings” but rather that the party was demanding answers.
The SARB is investigating alleged exchange-control contraventions relating to the company, which the ANC said cannot be labelled political.
“The ANC Parliamentary Caucus respects the constitutional and statutory mandates of law-enforcement and regulatory institutions. We therefore expect the allegations to be investigated thoroughly, independently and without fear, favour or political interference. No individual or company is above the law. There are serious questions about whether South Africans' foreign-exchange allowances were allegedly used as conduits for the export of capital by Kastelo without the permissions required by law,” the party said in a statement.
Responding to media reporting on Tuesday, Burke expressed his “full respect” for the SARB's investigation into potential exchange control contraventions but urged accurate factual reporting.
Burke clarified that he is not the chairperson of Kastelo Proprietary Limited and he holds no operational involvement in the investigated company.
Burke said he previously chaired the broader Kastelo Group but exited that role in February 2026.
He added that he originally resigned from Kastelo in 2024 to pursue his political career.
The ANC said if there is no connection between Burke and the company, an investigation will prove that.
“If there is, South Africans have a right to know. The ANC Parliamentary Caucus calls on the SAPS, Hawks, NPA, SARB and Parliament's Joint Committee on Ethics and Members' Interests, within their respective mandates, to follow the evidence. We also call on members of the public to read the court judgment on this matter, as well as the ANC Parliamentary Caucus affidavit, to fully appreciate the seriousness and gravity of the issues before the relevant authorities,” the ANC said.
It added that the DA’s move to remove Burke from parliamentary committees was not a substitution for accountability.
EMAIL THIS ARTICLE SAVE THIS ARTICLE ARTICLE ENQUIRY FEEDBACK
To subscribe email subscriptions@creamermedia.co.za or click here
To advertise email advertising@creamermedia.co.za or click here









