http://www.polity.org.za
Deepening Democracy through Access to Information
Home / News / African News RSS ← Back
Power|Congo|Democratic Republic Of Congo|Bar Kabila|Electoral Law|Disease|Felix Tshisekedi|Joseph Kabila
Power|Democratic Republic Of Congo||||
power|congo|democratic-republic-of-congo|bar-kabila|electoral-law|disease|felix-tshisekedi|joseph-kabila
Close

Email this article

separate emails by commas, maximum limit of 4 addresses

Verification Image. Please refresh the page if you cannot see this image.

Sponsored by

Close

Article Enquiry

Congo opposition rejects new timetable for polls to replace Kabila

Verification Image. Please refresh the page if you cannot see this image.
Close

Embed Video

Congo opposition rejects new timetable for polls to replace Kabila

Photo by Reuters
DRC president Joseph Kabila

8th November 2017

By: Reuters

SAVE THIS ARTICLE      EMAIL THIS ARTICLE

Font size: -+

Democratic Republic of Congo's main opposition parties have rejected a new date for elections announced at the weekend to replace President Joseph Kabila, saying it violates the law and a political deal agreed with the government.

Originally scheduled for late 2016, the polls have been repeatedly delayed. Following several rounds of deadly protests, Kabila's camp and his opponents signed an accord last December agreeing to hold the election before the end of this year.

Advertisement

On Sunday, Congo's CENI elections commission announced that the election, which term limits currently bar Kabila from taking part in, will be held on December 23, 2018 with the winner to be sworn in on January 13, 2019.

"The calendar presented by the CENI violates the Constitution, the December 31, 2016 accord and electoral law," read a statement from opposition leader Felix Tshisekedi's Rassemblement coalition.

Advertisement

The document was also agreed to by the MLC and UNC opposition parties.

Dozens died in protests against Kabila's refusal to step down at the end of his constitutional mandate last December.

Unrest sparked by the uncertainty surrounding the polls has raised fears Congo could witness a repeat of the kind of violence that killed millions around the turn of the last century, mostly from hunger and disease.

After the CENI said last month that the vote could only take place in April 2019 at the earliest, the opposition warned that the population would "take matters into its own hands".

"The opposition leaders call upon all the Congolese people to be vigilant and mobilised in the aim of freeing up the electoral process by Dec. 31, 2017," Tuesday's Rassemblement statement said.

It nonetheless went on to state that the coalition believed it was possible to hold the vote by June 30 next year at the latest.

The CENI and government officials blame poll delays on problems registering millions of voters across the vast Central African nation. The opposition accuses Kabila of manipulating the process to cling to power.

EMAIL THIS ARTICLE      SAVE THIS ARTICLE

To subscribe email subscriptions@creamermedia.co.za or click here
To advertise email advertising@creamermedia.co.za or click here

Comment Guidelines

About

Polity.org.za is a product of Creamer Media.
www.creamermedia.co.za

Other Creamer Media Products include:
Engineering News
Mining Weekly
Research Channel Africa

Read more

Subscriptions

We offer a variety of subscriptions to our Magazine, Website, PDF Reports and our photo library.

Subscriptions are available via the Creamer Media Store.

View store

Advertise

Advertising on Polity.org.za is an effective way to build and consolidate a company's profile among clients and prospective clients. Email advertising@creamermedia.co.za

View options
Free daily email newsletter Register Now
Register Close