The African National Congress (ANC) in KwaZulu-Natal has confirmed that it will appeal a Pietermaritzburg High Court ruling declaring its 2015 congress unlawful.
The provincial executive committee (PEC) had been waiting for consultations with the ANC's national working committee before going ahead with the decision, last week the ANC's national executive committee (NEC) had said it wanted a legal opinion before pushing ahead with the appeal.
The High Court ruled that the conference which saw Sihle Zikalala take over from Senzo Mchunu as provincial chairperson was unlawful and void but the PEC has insisted that it believes a higher court would come to a different conclusion.
"I can confirm the PEC filed papers to appeal the judgment," said ANC KZN spokesperson Mdumiseni Ntuli via WhatsApp on Thursday.
He also rubbished claims that the PEC had already been disbanded.
"It's nonsense," he responded when asked about the state of the PEC.
Last week the ANC's Secretary General Gwede Mantashe said the party wanted to consult lawyers to determine whether to appeal the judgment or not.