- Renewables Readiness Assessment: The Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan6.77 MB
Jordan's energy diversification strategy is centred around renewables, which are expected will provide the low-cost, reliable, secure and environmentally sustainable energy required to power its new engines of economic growth – manufacturing, transport, construction and agriculture.
The National Energy Strategy 2020–2030 presents the evolution of the energy sector under its vision for stimulating demand, achieving efficiency and improving electricity system flexibility.
This Renewables Readiness Assessment (RRA) highlights key actions for the short and medium-term that could create more conductive conditions for renewable energy development. It aims to help unlock Jordan's renewable energy potential and provide the means to meet the energy diversification goals of its national strategy.
The study was undertaken by the Ministry of Energy and Mineral Resources (MEMR) in collaboration with the International Renewable Energy Agency (IRENA).
- Provide the necessary conditions for renewables growth in the power sector.
- Foster continued growth of renewable power generation.
- Plan the integration of higher shares of renewable power.
- Incentivise the use of renewables for heating and cooling.
- Support renewable transport and mobility options.
- Catalyse renewable energy investment. Strengthen local industries and create jobs in renewables.
Report by Irena