The African National Congress (ANC) has refused to comment on Tuesday on the axing of eight South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) journalists.
When asked to comment on the shocking revelation that the SABC had fired its employees for "disrespecting" and "undermining" its management, ANC spokesperson Zizi Kodwa said: "No comment."
News24 then asked chairperson of the ANC National Executive Committee's sub-committee on communications Jackson Mthembu who replied: "We are busy with elections now. I can't comment... please ask Zizi Kodwa."
On July 5, Mthembu held a press briefing at ANC headquarters at Luthuli House, where he said that the SABC was in contravention of the Constitution, as well as ANC policy.
Mthembu was reacting to SABC chief operating officer Hlaudi Motsoeneng's recent announcement on the SABC's revised policy to no longer televise images of violent protests.
He said this was an unintelligent decision by the SABC.
The seven fired journalists, Busisiwe Ntuli, a specialist producer for the investigative programme Special Assignment, Lukhanyo Calata, Foeta Krige, Suna Venter, Krivani Pillay, Jacques Steenkamp and Thandeka Gqubele are accused of speaking out against the same policy.
Freelance journalist Vuyo Mvoko's contract with the corporation was terminated earlier this month.
Krige, Venter, Pillay and Steenkamp were fired on Monday, while Ntuli, Calata and Gqubele received their marching orders on Tuesday morning.