Question no 883
Mr G R Krumbock (DA) to ask the Minister of Water and Environmental Affairs:
(1) Whether any meteorologists employed by the South African Weather Service (SAWS) received any bonuses as a result of their skills being regarded as scarce since 1 January 2009 up to the latest specified date for which information is available; if not, what is the position in this regard; if so, what are the relevant details;
(2) Whether there is a policy that governs the provision of bonuses for persons with scarce skills; if not, why not; if so, what are the relevant details;
(3) Whether the board of SAWS was involved in the awarding of these bonuses; if not, why not; if so, what are the relevant details?
The Minister of Water and Environmental Affairs answers:
(1) No. However, once-off critical and scarce skills allowances were paid to certain categories of staff (including meteorologists) in April 2009.
(2) No. However, there is an attraction and retention strategy approved by the board, outlining various programmes aimed at attracting and retaining employees. As part of the implementation of the strategy, a framework was then developed for the payment of the critical and scarce skills allowance.
(3) No. However, the critical and scarce skills allowances were paid by management, in accordance with the framework referred to in (2) above.