Question no: 880
Mr G R Morgan (DA) to ask the Minister of Water and Environmental Affairs:
(1) What is the (a) value and (b) nature of each contract awarded to a certain group (details furnished) by Marine and Coastal Management (MCM) since 1 January 2002 up to the latest date for which information is available;
(2) whether, considering that this group was involved in formulating the long-term fishing rights policy, there is a conflict of interest now that this group was awarded the contract to conduct a performance review of all fishing rights holders; if not, how was this conclusion reached; if so, what are the relevant details;
(3) whether, in arriving at the decision to appoint this group to conduct the performance review of rights holders, any other companies were considered; if not, why not; if so, which companies?
The Minister of Water and Environmental Affairs answers:
(1) 2002: Medium-term rights allocation process to the value of R3,53 million.
2004: Project management support for the long-term rights allocation management process to the value of R3,12 million (Extension to the value of R4,2m).
2004: Allocation of long-term rights to the value of R7,6 million.
2008: Large pelagics rights allocation process to the value of R500'000.
2008: Performance review Process to the value of R9,5 million
The company was not involved in formulating the long-term fishing rights policy.
(3) Yes. A tender process was followed and the following companies tendered: Ignite Advisory Services, ENS Forensics, SAB and T, Saha International, Solar Project Management and The Resolve Group.