Basic Education Minister Angie Motshekga
For Creamer Media in Johannesburg, I’m Sane Dhlamini.
Making headlines: Break over for most grades on August 24, all grades back by August 31, South Africans turn to public protector to get R350 Covid-19 relief grant and, DA wants R150m arts and sports relief funding audited
Break over for most grades on August 24, all grades back by August 31
The Department of Basic Education has gazetted amended regulations on new dates for the reopening of schools, after institutions had to close a week ago.
The amended regulations include the new dates for pupils' phased return as well as guidelines for parents who still wish to keep their children home.
According to the new regulations which Basic Education Minister Angie Motshekga released on Sunday, pupils in Grades R, 1, 2, 3, 4,6,9,10 and Grade 11 will return to school on 24 August.
South Africans turn to public protector to get R350 Covid-19 relief grant
Hundreds of South Africans have turned to Public Protector Busisiwe Mkhwebane after being denied the R350/month special social relief of distress grant announced by President Cyril Ramaphosa to cushion the poorest citizens from the coronavirus-forced economic meltdown.
The office of the public protector said it had seen “a rapid surge” in the number of complaints of conduct and service failure relating to the Covid-19 pandemic over the past four months.
Public protector spokesperson Oupa Segalwe said the public protector planned to meet Minister of Social Development Lindiwe Zulu to bring to her attention the special social relief of distress grant grievances in a bid to find a speedy resolution.
DA wants R150m arts and sports relief funding audited
The DA has called for an audit of R150-million in relief funding issued to the department of sports arts and culture and meant to mitigate the effects of the coronavirus crisis on the sector.
In a statement, DA member of parliament and head of sports, arts and culture Tsepo Mhlongo said his call followed "numerous" allegations of corruption and mismanagement of the funds and the accusation that the department was not transparent about the funding process.
He urged Sports, Arts, and Culture Minister Nathi Mthethwa to re-open the application process for relief fund to afford those who had previously been unsuccessful or missed the prior deadline a new and fair opportunity to access this much-needed support.
That’s a roundup of news making headlines today
Don’t forget to follow us on Twitter[@PolityZA]