https://www.polity.org.za
Deepening Democracy through Access to Information
Home / News / All News RSS ← Back
Infrastructure
Infrastructure
infrastructure
Close

Email this article

separate emails by commas, maximum limit of 4 addresses

Sponsored by

Close

Embed Video

Suspended SABC journalists march to Constitutional Court

Suspended SABC journalists march to Constitutional Court

1st July 2016

By: African News Agency

SAVE THIS ARTICLE      EMAIL THIS ARTICLE

Font size: -+

Four South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) journalists who had raised concerns over censorship and coverage rules at the public broadcaster, on Friday handed a memorandum of grievances to the Constitutional Court.

The journalists had been scheduled to attend a disciplinary hearing on Friday, but the matter was abandoned after other media professionals and concerned organisations picketed outside the SABC offices in Auckland Park, Johannesburg.

Advertisement

At least 70 journalists from various media houses turned up for the picket called for by the South African National Editors’ Forum (Sanef) to protest against censorship and the silencing of dissenting voices.

Apart from Sanef, other organisations such as the Right2Know campaign, Media Monitoring and the Organisation Undoing Tax Abuse, as well as individuals, including unionist leader Zwelinzima Vavi, joined the picket before the march to the Constitutional Court.

Advertisement

Vavi said SABC chief operating officer Hlaudi Motsoeneng was abusing his authority by introducing editorial policies that censored the work of journalists.

"He tells people to turn the cameras away when they see the destruction of property‚" said Vavi.

On arrival at the Constitutional Court, suspended SABC economics editor, Thandeka Gqubele, said that she was disappointed that the public broadcaster had gone in the wrong direction.

"I was there in 1992 and the transition into democracy was a free independent SABC."

Gqubele said she was heartbroken and did not want to march but felt she had to because what was happening was unlawful.

On Monday, SABC CEO Jimi Matthews resigned, saying "what is happening at the broadcaster is wrong and I can no longer be part of it".

The hearing of a total of six journalists who were suspended by the SABC, was postponed to 11 July after they argued that they had not been given time to prepare properly.

The six were suspended after questioning the editorial policies that were put in place by Motsoeneng.

Motsoeneng recently announced that the public broadcaster would not be broadcasting violent protests where infrastructure was being destroyed as he felt that the presence of television cameras only made the protestors more destructive in a bid for attention.

Amongst those who were picketing was the City Press’s Ferial Haffajee, Yusuf Abramjee of Crime Stoppers International and executive editor of Independent Newspapers, Karima Brown.

Political and social analyst at the Wits Centre for Ethics, Eusebius McKaiser, said that what was happening at the SABC was putting democracy at risk and sent a message to media owners that nefarious influences would not be tolerated.

EMAIL THIS ARTICLE      SAVE THIS ARTICLE

To subscribe email subscriptions@creamermedia.co.za or click here
To advertise email advertising@creamermedia.co.za or click here

Comment Guidelines

About

Polity.org.za is a product of Creamer Media.
www.creamermedia.co.za

Other Creamer Media Products include:
Engineering News
Mining Weekly
Research Channel Africa

Read more

Subscriptions

We offer a variety of subscriptions to our Magazine, Website, PDF Reports and our photo library.

Subscriptions are available via the Creamer Media Store.

View store

Advertise

Advertising on Polity.org.za is an effective way to build and consolidate a company's profile among clients and prospective clients. Email advertising@creamermedia.co.za

View options
Free daily email newsletter Register Now