For Creamer Media in Johannesburg, I’m Thabi Madiba.
Making headlines: Bheki Cele says police are not in a rush to arrest Zuma; Mangosuthu Buthelezi says challenging the State and risking lives is unacceptable; And, Lesufi says he won't step aside amid R430m tender investigation
Bheki Cele says police are not in a rush to arrest Zuma
Police Minister Bheki Cele says police will not rush to arrest former president Jacob Zuma in line with a Constitutional Court order.
Zuma was found guilty of contempt of court for his failure to comply with a Constitutional Court order to honour a subpoena to appear before the State Capture Inquiry. The court sentenced him to 15 months in prison and ordered Cele and national police commissioner Khehla Sitole to arrest him if he failed to hand himself over within five days.
But Cele said today that there was still time for police to act if there was a need to do so.
Speaking in Orlando, Gauteng, at the launch of the vaccination drive for the police sector, Cele said his office was given until midnight on Wednesday to arrest Zuma.
However, they were still seeking clarity after it emerged that Zuma was challenging the court order.
Mangosuthu Buthelezi says challenging the State and risking lives is unacceptable
Prince Mangosuthu Buthelezi has labelled the weekend’s events at Nkandla as “treasonous”, adding that challenging the State and risking lives is unacceptable.
Thousands of supporters and former African National Congress leaders congregated at Nkandla to support former President Jacob Zuma.
He addressed supporters alongside suspended ANC secretary-general Ace Magashule and Umkhonto Wesiziwe Military Veterans Association spokesperson Carl Niehaus, as thousands gathered, breaking lockdown regulations.
A Zulu regiment was also present at Nkandla, prompting the Zulu royal family to distance themselves from those present.
Buthelezi said people gathering at Nkandla in large numbers during the deadly coronavirus pandemic was a “sin”.
And, Lesufi says he won't step aside amid R430m tender investigation
Gauteng Education MEC Panyaza Lesufi has reportedly said he won't be stepping aside despite an investigation into a R430-million tender scandal.
The Gauteng Government Expenditure Disclosure Report, compiled by the infrastructure management directorate in the department, revealed that more than R431-million was spent on sanitising schools between June and August 2020.
Lesufi said he would continue to hold his position while waiting for a report from the Special Investigating Unit.
Lesufi previously said he was "dismayed" by reports that more than R430-million was spent in just three months.
That’s a roundup of news making headlines today
Don’t forget to follow us on Twitter [@Polity ZA]