/ MEDIA STATEMENT / The content on this page is not written by Polity.org.za, but is supplied by third parties. This content does not constitute news reporting by Polity.org.za.
The FF Plus has expressed its disappointment with the SABC Board after the Board had given its support to Mr. Solly Mokoetle, the suspended chief of the SABC. The Board said that it supported the appointment of Mr. Phil Molefe as news chief of the SABC by Mr. Mokoetle. According to Adv. Anton Alberts, Parliamentary spokesperson on Communication for the FF Plus, the appointment of Mr. Molefe was viewed by the Board itself to be illegal and forms part of the charges against Mr. Mokoetle. "It is shocking that the SABC Board can support an executive officer who conspicuously acted illegally. If the Board wants to retain any credibility, the Board should immediately withdraw its support for Mr. Mokoetle until the charges against him had been concluded," Adv. Alberts said.
"The Board supported the appointment of Mr. Molefe from the start. It therefore appears as if the Board had been convinced behind closed doors to support Mr. Molefe's appointment. This boils down to political interference in the public broadcaster and goes against the principles which relate to the establishment and protection of an independent and impartial public broadcaster, as contained in the Constitution. It is the duty of the Board to protect these principles and give effect to it," is the opinion of Adv. Alberts.
The FF Plus is aware that the SABC Board will next Wednesday, 20 October appear before the parliamentary portfolio committee on Communication where this issue will be discussed. The FF Plus intends to put pertinent questions to the Board regarding this issue and insist on corrective steps being taken.