http://www.polity.org.za
Deepening Democracy through Access to Information
Home / News / All News RSS ← Back
Beijing|Kuala Lumpur|Aircraft|Exploration|Financial|Malaysia Airlines|transport|Voice370|Australia|China|Malaysia|United States|Airline|Equipment|Funded Search|Last Search Zone|Possible Future Search Efforts|Renewed Search|Sonar Equipment|Underwater Search Vehicles|Years-long Search|Indian Ocean|Anne Daisy|Darren Chester|Grace Nathan|Boeing 777|Southern Indian Ocean|Western Australia|Western Indian Ocean
|Aircraft|Exploration|Financial|transport|||Equipment|||||
beijing|kuala-lumpur|aircraft|exploration|financial|malaysia-airlines|transport|voice370|australia-country|china|malaysia|united-states|airline|equipment|funded-search|last-search-zone|possible-future-search-efforts|renewed-search|sonar-equipment|underwater-search-vehicles|years-long-search|indian-ocean|anne-daisy|darren-chester|grace-nathan|boeing-777|southern-indian-ocean-region|western-australia-region|western-indian-ocean-region
Close

Email this article

separate emails by commas, maximum limit of 4 addresses

Verification Image. Please refresh the page if you cannot see this image.

Sponsored by

Close

Article Enquiry

US company offers to fund renewed search for MH370

Verification Image. Please refresh the page if you cannot see this image.
Close

Embed Video

US company offers to fund renewed search for MH370

11th August 2017

By: News24Wire

SAVE THIS ARTICLE      EMAIL THIS ARTICLE

Font size: -+

Relatives of passengers aboard missing flight MH370 have demanded Malaysia accept a US exploration firm's offer to take up the hunt for the aircraft, which was suspended earlier this year.

No trace of the Malaysia Airlines plane, which disappeared in March 2014 with 239 people on board, was found during a lengthy deep-sea hunt in the southern Indian Ocean off western Australia, with the years-long search called off in January

Advertisement

US company Ocean Infinity - a seabed exploration firm with a fleet of advanced underwater search vehicles -  has said it will take on the financial risk of a renewed search for the missing Malaysian airliner.

Families of those on the plane when it went missing urged the Malaysian government on Friday to agree to a private-sector hunt for the flight's wreckage.

Advertisement

Malaysia, Australia, and China suspended a nearly three-year search in the southern Indian Ocean in January after scouring 120,000 square kilometres of remote seabed and failing to find any trace of the airline.


MH370: Questions remain over missing Malaysian plane

Ocean Infinity said it remained hopeful that Malaysia would accept its offer to continue the search using a team of advanced, fast-moving deep-sea drones fitted with sonar equipment.

"The terms of the offer are confidential, but I can ... confirm that Ocean Infinity have offered to take on the economic risk of a renewed search," the company said in an email, the AP news agency reported.

"We're in a constructive dialogue with the relevant authorities and are hopeful that the offer will be accepted," it added.

Voice370, a support group for families, said under the terms of the offer made in April Ocean Infinity "would like to be paid a reward if and only if it finds the main debris field".

"Why hasn't Malaysia accepted this win-win offer?" Voice370 asked in a statement.

Malaysia did not immediately respond on Friday to the families' question.

The group said the offer should be accepted "without further delay" and urged authorities to provide them with details.

"We are constantly in limbo. They [authorities] do not engage us. It is upsetting and frustrating," Grace Nathan, a Malaysian lawyer whose mother Anne Daisy was on the plane, told AFP news agency.


"We are always kept in the dark."

An international board of experts has concluded, based on an analysis of Boeing 777 debris that drifted and washed up on western Indian Ocean beaches, the flight most likely crashed in a 25,000 square kilometre area of ocean on the northern boundary of the last search zone, far southwest of Australia.
 

Debris 'almost certainly' from Malaysian Airlines MH370

But Malaysia, Australia and China agree the newly identified area is too big to justify resuming the publicly funded search, which has already cost $160m.

Australia has coordinated the search on Malaysia's behalf because the plane is believed to have crashed in Australia's zone of search and rescue responsibility on March 8, 2014, after flying far off course on a journey from Malaysian capital Kuala Lumpur to Beijing.

Transport Minister Darren Chester declined to comment on the possibility of a private search.

"Malaysia, as the state of registry for the aircraft, retains overall authority for any future search and any questions regarding possible future search efforts should be directed there," his office said in a statement.

"Australia stands ready to assist the Malaysian government in any way it can."

EMAIL THIS ARTICLE      SAVE THIS ARTICLE

To subscribe email subscriptions@creamermedia.co.za or click here
To advertise email advertising@creamermedia.co.za or click here

Comment Guidelines

About

Polity.org.za is a product of Creamer Media.
www.creamermedia.co.za

Other Creamer Media Products include:
Engineering News
Mining Weekly
Research Channel Africa

Read more

Subscriptions

We offer a variety of subscriptions to our Magazine, Website, PDF Reports and our photo library.

Subscriptions are available via the Creamer Media Store.

View store

Advertise

Advertising on Polity.org.za is an effective way to build and consolidate a company's profile among clients and prospective clients. Email advertising@creamermedia.co.za

View options
Free daily email newsletter Register Now