Deepening Democracy through Access to Information
Home / News / South African News RSS ← Back
Johannesburg|Africa|Ousted South African Broadcasting Corporation|Africa|South Africa|Millpark Hotel|Public Broadcaster|Radio Advertising|Hlaudi Motsoeneng|Jacob Zuma|Khanyisile Kweyama

Email this article

separate emails by commas, maximum limit of 4 addresses

Verification Image. Please refresh the page if you cannot see this image.

Sponsored by


Article Enquiry

Hlaudi Motsoeneng set to hold presser on SIU probe into SABC

Verification Image. Please refresh the page if you cannot see this image.

Embed Video

Hlaudi Motsoeneng set to hold presser on SIU probe into SABC

Former SABC COO Hlaudi Motsoeneng

31st August 2017

By: News24Wire


Font size: -+

Ousted South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) chief operating officer Hlaudi Motsoeneng is set to hold a press briefing at the Millpark Hotel in Johannesburg on Thursday morning, roughly 2 km from his former employer.

This comes as Parliament's portfolio committee on communications continues with interviews for candidates shortlisted to serve on the public broadcaster's board.


Motsoeneng is expected to discuss President Jacob Zuma's authorisation of the Special Investigations Unit (SIU) to investigate procurement at the SABC, the SABC's interim board and his 90% local content policy.  His previous press briefing in April resulted in his dismissal by the SABC, who called his actions "grossly insubordinate".

The Labour Court dismissed his application to stop disciplinary hearings against him following the presser.


During the four-hour press briefing, he defended his "90% local content" policy and criticised the parliamentary ad-hoc committee charged with investigating the former board.

At the beginning of August, interim board chairperson Khanyisile Kweyama said the 90% local content policy cost the broadcaster R183-million in television advertising and R29-million in radio advertising. The broadcaster previously applied for a bail-out package from the national treasury.

The SABC instituted legal proceedings against Motsoeneng to recover losses occurred through the 90% policy.

He has referred to himself as "the most powerful man in South Africa", called himself "a brand" and said he started radical transformation at the SABC.

In December 2016, the Western Cape High Court ruled that Motsoeneng could not work at the SABC at all unless Former Public Protector Thuli Madonsela's report was set aside or a new disciplinary hearing cleared him of wrong-doing.

He is appealing that judgment.


To subscribe email or click here
To advertise email or click here

Comment Guidelines

About is a product of Creamer Media.

Other Creamer Media Products include:
Engineering News
Mining Weekly
Research Channel Africa

Read more


We offer a variety of subscriptions to our Magazine, Website, PDF Reports and our photo library.

Subscriptions are available via the Creamer Media Store.

View store


Advertising on is an effective way to build and consolidate a company's profile among clients and prospective clients. Email

View options
Free daily email newsletter Register Now