For Creamer Media in Johannesburg, I’m Sane Dhlamini.
Making headlines: September fuel freeze not repeated in October as prices surge, NPA mum on Zuma lawyer's reported request for any info on payments to Khwezi And, Sars and Moyane withdraw R12 million defamation suit against the revenue's former spin doctor
September fuel freeze not repeated in October as prices surge
Energy Minister Jeff Radebe has resisted the temptation of again intervening to freeze fuel-price increases, confirming today that the price of petrol and diesel will surge sharply at midnight on Wednesday.
The price of 95 Octane unleaded petrol in Gauteng will surge to a record R17.08/l and R16.49/l at the coast. The price of 0.05% sulphur diesel in Gauteng will rise to R15.64/l and R15.16/l at the coast.
In September, Radebe surprised the market, and the liquid fuels industry, when he decided to breach the rules of South Africa's well-established pricing framework in order to facilitate the price freeze.
The Department of Energy said the current fuel price adjustments are due mainly to the international factors, namely, the weaker rand and higher crude oil prices.
NPA mum on Zuma lawyer's reported request for any info on payments to Khwezi
The National Prosecuting Authority would not comment on a report that former president Jacob Zuma's legal team had requested information on whether the late Fezeka Kuzwayo was paid by the prosecuting authority.
NPA spokesperson Luvuyo Mfaku said Zuma's corruption case was now back in court and that the NPA would, therefore, not comment.
A news agency reported today that Zuma's legal team asked the NPA for answers about any payments to Kuzwayo, who was known previously by the pseudonym "Khwezi" during the rape trial.
Zuma was acquitted in May 2006 of the rape charge laid by Kuzwayo.
Sars and Moyane withdraw R12 million defamation suit against the revenue's former spin doctor
The South African Revenue Service and its suspended commissioner Tom Moyane have withdrawn a R12-million defamation suit against the tax agency's former spin doctor Adrian Lackay for submissions he made in Parliament.
In a statement yesterday, Lackay said the lawyers for Sars and Moyane gave written notice on Thursday that the civil proceedings are withdrawn.
In 2015, Lackay submitted a letter titled "Sars: This is the inside story" to two parliamentary committees in which he alleged that Moyane willfully misled the country and Parliament.
He said the parties also indicated that they will pay legal costs incurred.
That’s a roundup of news making headlines today
Don’t forget to follow us on Twitter @POLITYZA