http://www.polity.org.za
Deepening Democracy through Access to Information
Home / News / African News RSS ← Back
DRC|Goma|SECURITY|Congo|Democratic Republic Of Congo|DRC|Disease|Starvation|Andre-Alain Atundu|Felix Tshisekedi|Joseph Kabila|North Kivu|Eastern Congo
DRC||SECURITY|Democratic Republic Of Congo|DRC||||
drc|goma|security|congo|democratic-republic-of-congo|drc-country|disease|starvation|andre-alain-atundu-person|felix-tshisekedi|joseph-kabila|north-kivu|eastern-congo
Close

Email this article

separate emails by commas, maximum limit of 4 addresses

Verification Image. Please refresh the page if you cannot see this image.

Sponsored by

Close

Article Enquiry

Congo opposition agrees to election delay – if Kabila leaves

Verification Image. Please refresh the page if you cannot see this image.
Close

Embed Video

Congo opposition agrees to election delay – if Kabila leaves

Photo by Reuters
DRC President Joseph Kabila

1st November 2017

By: African News Agency

SAVE THIS ARTICLE      EMAIL THIS ARTICLE

Font size: -+

Felix Tshisekedi, the leader of the Democratic Republic of Congo’s (DRC) largest opposition party, has said they agree to a further delay of elections until June 2018 on the condition that incumbent President Joseph Kabila steps down at the end of this year and a new transition government is installed, AP reported on Wednesday.

Tshisekedi added that his opposition coalition, known as Rassemblement, refuses to engage in any further discussion over the matter – unless this dialogue involves Kabila’s exit.

Advertisement

The DRC has been wracked by political unrest and violent upheaval over Kabila’s refusal to cede office.

The lead-up to the end of his constitutionally mandated two-term limit on December 19 last year saw much bloodshed and brutal political repression.

Advertisement

A Catholic church-mediated agreement signed at the end of 2016 included a clear commitment that presidential elections would be held before the end of 2017 and that Kabila would not seek a third term.

But Kabila has continually stalled on this issue and the continuing violence led Congo’s election commission to postpone elections until 2019.

Ruling party spokesperson Andre-Alain Atundu said that only this commission could determine when the next elections are held.

In the latest violence the United Nations Joint Office for Human Rights said four people had been killed and 15 others injured amid clashes between security forces and protesters in eastern Congo.

The office said Tuesday that the UN mission in Congo had  deployed a team to Goma, the capital of North Kivu province, to monitor the situation and investigate. It also said security forces arrested at least 37 people.

The UN also warned last week that millions of people faced starvation in the restive Kasai province.

In August the international body reported that people displaced by the continuing conflict in the country had nearly doubled in the preceding six months to 3.8-million.

Over five million people alone died in the second Congo war from 1998 to 2003, mostly from starvation and disease.

EMAIL THIS ARTICLE      SAVE THIS ARTICLE

To subscribe email subscriptions@creamermedia.co.za or click here
To advertise email advertising@creamermedia.co.za or click here

Comment Guidelines

About

Polity.org.za is a product of Creamer Media.
www.creamermedia.co.za

Other Creamer Media Products include:
Engineering News
Mining Weekly
Research Channel Africa

Read more

Subscriptions

We offer a variety of subscriptions to our Magazine, Website, PDF Reports and our photo library.

Subscriptions are available via the Creamer Media Store.

View store

Advertise

Advertising on Polity.org.za is an effective way to build and consolidate a company's profile among clients and prospective clients. Email advertising@creamermedia.co.za

View options
Free daily email newsletter Register Now
Register Close