http://www.polity.org.za
Deepening Democracy through Access to Information
Home / News / All News RSS ← Back
Beijing|Hobart|Kuala Lumpur|SYDNEY|Aircraft|Aviation|Exploration|Industrial|Malaysia Airlines|Ocean Infinity|transport|Australia|China|France|Malaysia|United States|Renewed Search|Satellite Images|Satellite Pictures|Search Area|Service|Underwater Search Zone|Indian Ocean|Andrew Thomas|Aziz Kaprawi|Darren Chester|David Griffin|Western Australia|Southern Indian Ocean|Western Australia|Western Indian Ocean
|Aircraft|Aviation|Exploration|Industrial|transport||Service|||||
beijing|hobart|kuala-lumpur|sydney|aircraft|aviation|exploration|industrial|malaysia-airlines|ocean-infinity|transport|australia-country|china|france|malaysia|united-states|renewed-search|satellite-images|satellite-pictures|search-area|service|underwater-search-zone|indian-ocean|andrew-thomas|aziz-kaprawi|darren-chester|david-griffin|western-australia|southern-indian-ocean-region|western-australia-region|western-indian-ocean-region
Close

Email this article

separate emails by commas, maximum limit of 4 addresses

Verification Image. Please refresh the page if you cannot see this image.

Sponsored by

Close

Article Enquiry

Australia's CSIRO believes it can locate missing MH370

Verification Image. Please refresh the page if you cannot see this image.
Close

Embed Video

Australia's CSIRO believes it can locate missing MH370

Photo by Reuters

16th August 2017

By: News24Wire

SAVE THIS ARTICLE      EMAIL THIS ARTICLE

Font size: -+

Australia's scientific agency says it believes with "unprecedented precision and certainty" that a missing Malaysia Airlines aircraft crashed into the sea northeast of an area scoured in a fruitless two-year search.

The Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation's assertion on Wednesday is based on satellite pictures taken two weeks after Flight MH370 went missing on March 8, 2014.

Advertisement

The Australian government, however, rejected CSIRO's report saying it was not specific enough.

The flight to Beijing from Malaysian capital of Kuala Lumpur was carrying 239 people on board when it disappeared in what has become one of the world's greatest aviation mysteries.

Advertisement

It is thought to have been diverted thousands of miles off course out over the southern Indian Ocean before crashing off the coast of Western Australia.

CSIRO's David Griffin, speaking to Al Jazeera from Hobart, said the agency has potentially narrowed the search area to three specific locations in the southern Indian Ocean.

"We are talking about much smaller distances than we've ever talked before. The three locations that we nominated are of the highest priority.


US company offers to fund renewed search for MH370

Australia, Malaysia and China called off a $160m search for the plane in January after finding nothing, despite the protests of families of those onboard.

The CSIRO has previously raised doubts about the main 120,000-sq-km underwater search zone, saying it believed the plane went down to the north of it. Man-made objects spotted

The CSIRO pinpointed the likely locations by reviewing satellite images provided by the French military intelligence service and France's national space agency, CNES, which showed 70 pieces of debris.

A dozen of those were "probably" man-made, CSIRO said.

"We think it is possible to identify a most-likely location of the aircraft, with unprecedented precision and certainty," the CSIRO said.

The agency used drift analysis to study where the objects may have been on the day the aircraft went missing, and found their projected location to be consistent with the northern area identified in the earlier reports.

The Australian government advised caution, with Transport Minister Darren Chester saying the new analysis "does not provide new evidence leading to a specific location of MH370"

Aziz Kaprawi, Malaysia's deputy transport minister, said their civil aviation department would need to evaluate the data since it's based on satellite images from a few years ago.

"We will need to verify the data to see if it's credible before we make any decision," Aziz told the Associated Press.

Al Jazeera's Andrew Thomas, reporting from Sydney, said the proposed locations were "no longer vague" and "puts pressire on the authorities, Malaysia in particular, to restart the search."

Malaysia, China and Australia  have decided that the search will remain suspended unless new evidence pinpoints the wreckage's whereabouts.

Ocean Infinity, a US seabed exploration firm, said in early August it could resume the hunt for free.

The company said it would seek payment only if the aircraft was found.

Relatives of passengers aboard the missing flight have called on Malaysia to accept the offer.

Aziz said Malaysia has not given up on the search and has scheduled a meeting with Australian and Chinese authorities to discuss the offer from Ocean Infinity.

Only three fragments of MH370 have been found on western Indian Ocean shores, including a two-metre wing part known as a flaperon.

EMAIL THIS ARTICLE      SAVE THIS ARTICLE

To subscribe email subscriptions@creamermedia.co.za or click here
To advertise email advertising@creamermedia.co.za or click here

Comment Guidelines

About

Polity.org.za is a product of Creamer Media.
www.creamermedia.co.za

Other Creamer Media Products include:
Engineering News
Mining Weekly
Research Channel Africa

Read more

Subscriptions

We offer a variety of subscriptions to our Magazine, Website, PDF Reports and our photo library.

Subscriptions are available via the Creamer Media Store.

View store

Advertise

Advertising on Polity.org.za is an effective way to build and consolidate a company's profile among clients and prospective clients. Email advertising@creamermedia.co.za

View options
Free daily email newsletter Register Now
Register Close